Tuesday, February 17, 2015

2 | More cautious about Online Privacy & Indentity

I really identified with the blog post ‘Digital age Teens Care About Online Privacy—Just Not the Same Way You Do’. For years I was enjoying having accounts on several social media sites. I also used my Facebook account to create accounts on external sites simply because I was too lazy to fill out all those blank spaces in the sign up process. Now I realize it was not such a good idea.

Excluding my credit card information, my Facebook personal data—including past activities, insights, and interests—have been consistently shared and updated with all those 3rd party sites for years. Because I use Facebook everyday, I noticed my news feed began to be overwhelmed by the recurring ads that were alarmingly well tailored to my interests. I don't like the filtered news feed because it has created a narrow scope which tends to proscribe exploring new interests and information. Seems like websites builder know me too much already, now I need some privacy back.Spring Cleaning Who Has Access to Your Data seems to be a good instruction that may help me customize my preferred online privacy.

Thing that happen to me last Wednesday reenforce the idea of importance of privacy control while Being online: identity, anonymity, and all things in between. I googled an application about working in the US while being an international student. It came in online editable PDF format and I filled where is necessary to be filled, then printed it, and exit the page. In the evening, I got a call from anonymous telling me that he notice my uncompleted form and willing to service me. I was shocked felt this was very suspicious that somebody call me and talked about the thing I did in that morning.





After learning the results of ads bugging me, those junk mails from social media connections,  and a call from a stranger about my official document, I try to be a lot more careful with online signing-ups and my online privacy & important personal data.


3 comments:

  1. Personally, I have never received a call from someone that had information like that about me, but hearing your side of the story really bugs me that the Internet is even more dangerous than I already know it is. Ads are definitely something that all online-users needs to be wary of because they might steal information from us without us even knowing. I always try to use the Incognito Brower in Chrome, or any other private browser when I am using a public computer. Even so, I am still cautious of the sites I go to and to make sure I log out of every account before I close the computer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a real wake up call to remind me to be mindful of my online presence and usage. I have never received any calls that I know of or have answered from strangers about anything related to what I've done online but this really shows that it can and does happen. I am usually very mindful of what I search and what I click on, as well as my social media and application settings, but it's important to remember to never let your guard down. On a side note: I really love the image you included!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The internet can never fail to surprise us ! I was really surprised when you mentioned about getting a call from an anonymous person.Well we learn from experiences and i am sure i will be more careful in future keeping in mind that my information reaches numerous people .
    I also like how you talked about getting our privacy back .Customized information is good but it can be helpful and deceiving at the same time
    !

    ReplyDelete